Groundhog Day!

2.2.22

Talk about the perfect date for Groundhog Day. A repetition of numbers reflecting a repetition of a tradition that’s been happening as far back as 1889.

Repetition. Doing the same thing over and over and over again.

I’ve been reading Atomic Habits by James Clear and this morning I felt that my quote of the day fits perfectly into not only the holiday, but also the work I’m learning in this book.

There is a section of the book that discusses motion vs. action. A lot of the times, we are in the motion phase of life. Planning, strategizing, thinking about how we are going to make change. When we are in motion, we feel like we are moving forward but sometimes being in motion is Groundhog Day. You do the same thing over and over, day in and day out, but never really get anywhere new.

70% of success in life is showing up. That’s motion. You show up. You are where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be. But what about the other 30%? Is that where you don’t show up? I choose to think that the other 30% is action. Show up but then do something. I can sit at my desk all day and go over outlines for courses, create content, and refine them over and over. But if I don’t actually offer them to others to take, then they aren’t doing me any good. 70% of my showing up has only been for myself. The other 30% needs to be the action of offering the opportunity to others. That will give me my 100% success rate.

What are you doing in life right now that is 70% of showing up? Are you taking action or just going through the motions. When your alarm goes off in the morning and you get out of bed, is it to just show up or is it to do something, because there is a difference.

Showing up for work every day is doing something. It’s financially providing for you and your family. It’s being responsible. It’s contributing to society. Blah, blah, blah. Showing up for work every day, doing your job, and serving others is action. It’s sprinkling in some variety here and there. Take the extra 5 minutes to chat with a co-worker who is struggling. Offer to hold the door for someone. Smile at a passerby. It’s all those little actions that will give you the other 30%.

I could be totally going off the wall on this one, but I know that the action items I have taken have increased my success rate across the board from my business, to my home, and to my health. I don’t just show up for everything. I don’t just keep planning. I am implementing and taking action. And it’s working.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: